Don't you just love when an accident turns tasty?
This soup was actually meant to be a plain 'ol ordinary butternut squash soup. Then I decided I wanted to know what it would taste like with a whole bag of sauteed spinach in it. Then I decided that it needed something spicy, and creamy, and quinoa-y.
And thus, the Spicy Butternut Squash & Spinach Soup was born.
This soup really bulked up quite a bit. The quinoa gives it a little extra texture and protein, the butternut squash and spinach become friendly in a hot tub of chicken broth and cream, and the white pepper gives it a heat that's spicy but not melt-your-face-off hot.
I think this would make a great detox dinner after the Thanksgiving overload that we all know will happen.
Spicy Butternut Squash & Spinach Soup
makes aprx 6 cups of soup
3 cups peeled and cubed Butternut Squash
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 6oz bag of baby spinach
2tbs coconut oil (or olive oil)
2 tsp white pepper
1 tbs minced garlic (or 2 tsp garlic pwdr)
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1. Roast your butternut squash on a foil lined baking sheet in a 425* oven for ~20 minutes.
2. Saute spinach in coconut oil over medium high heat until wilted.
3. Combine roasted squash, chicken broth, water, and baby spinach in a medium pot and heat to a simmer on medium-high heat.
4. When heated, toss in the spinach, white pepper, heavy cream, and garlic.
5. Turn the heat off. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
6. Cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water- bring to a boil, set back to a simmer until all liquid is gone.
7. Add quinoa to soup, serve, enjoy!
If you liked this, you'll also like:
|Mexican Pot Pie|
|Spicy Veggie Soup|