This past weekend was my mom's birthday, she turned 38! (Again!)
The morning of, we met up with the Camp Gladiator Run Team and did a 4 mile run. We started at about 7am, and by the time we were done we were incredibly hot and sweaty! So we decided to have a dip in Barton Springs. We then ventured over to Austin Java for some gigantic omelets and iced coffees.
It was at Austin Java that she decided she did not want to go to Bat Fest that night (cuz it was 4million degrees outside) and she wanted to go see The Help and then just have dinner. I told her I would supply the dessert- I have been planning this special birthday dessert for quite a while!!
Root Beer Float Cupcakes
root beer cake with ice cream frosting. mmmmmmmm.
|it certainly smelled like root beer!|
|whippin up some ice cream frosting!|
|not the prettiest frosting job lol|
|Ready to eat!|
|mom's first bite...|
I found this recipe on an awesome blog I follow called American Cupcake in London
she adapted it from Guilty Kitchen & the frosting is from All Recipes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg & 1 yolk
2 tsp root beer extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1) cream together the butter and sugar. add egg and egg yolk, beat.
2) stir in the extracts, set aside.
3) in a separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
4) add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 2 parts, alternating with buttermilk and completly combining between additions. pour into lined baking tins.
5) bake at 350* for 20-25mins
6) allow to cool completely before frosting.
Ice Cream Frosting
8oz of full-fat cream cheese at room temp
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla ext
2 cups whipping cream
1)combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and mix on medium until smooth. While the mixture is whipping, slowly add the cream.
2) stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl a few times and keep mixing until the whipping cream holds a stiff peak.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMA!
P.S. I don't know what's up with the white background, it won't let me fix it!